Oracle Jdbc Driver fails to render Euro (€) when db is set to WE8MSWIN1252 encoding

We just spent a few glorious hours or so trawling the internet and writing old skool jdbc code, to discover this little beauty. Simply upgrade to of the jdbc driver and it goes away.

Thanks to this post we discovered our problem.

For the full details on the euro….

And if your really bored:


Hibernate Proxy InstantiationException

Changing entities to be lazy loaded led me to the following problem:

@OneToMany(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
Caused by: org.hibernate.HibernateException: Javassist Enhancement failed: Thing
	at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistLazyInitializer.getProxy(
	at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistProxyFactory.getProxy(
	at org.hibernate.tuple.entity.AbstractEntityTuplizer.createProxy(
	at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.createProxy(
Caused by: java.lang.InstantiationException: Thing_$$_javassist_38
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(
	at org.hibernate.proxy.pojo.javassist.JavassistLazyInitializer.getProxy(

Thanks to Kristian I jumped straight to the problem. From the Hibernate docs:

Cat has a no-argument constructor. All persistent classes must have a default constructor (which can be non-public) so that Hibernate can instantiate them using Constructor.newInstance(). It is recommended that you have a default constructor with at least package visibility for runtime proxy generation in Hibernate.

This should probably read “It is essential….”

Anyway now everything is real lazy so happy days.